Re: How important is PL/SQL?

From: Jeremy Russell <jeremyr_at_no-spam-today-thanks.dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 05:25:42 GMT

Pretty important - it's used for two major purposes:

  1. writing "stored code" that lives in the database and is executed where the database resides - benefits are the reuse of this code, sharing it between programs and programmers, performance (especially in a networked environment).
  2. customising default behaviour in Forms, Reportwriter and other tools, giving a common machine portable programming tool (Java? what's that?)

Hope that helps
JR