Re: Oracle for linux: login denied

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 1998/10/16

spot1111_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <705o3e$t84$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

<cross posting newsgroups removed>

>We had recently installed oracle 8.0.5 on linux 2.0.34 (RedHat 5.1).
>We have another server running oracle HP-UX 7.3.3.4.1. When we try to
 connect
>from the linux machine to the HP-UX (11.0), using sqlplus we receive the
>following message:
>
>[oracle_at_fw1 oracle]$ sqlplus system/passwd_at_diamprod

Running Diamond from HSD? Know where Doris comes from? :-)

>ERROR:
>ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
>But username/password are ok!!!!!!!!!!

OK, let me first insult your intelligence with what is probably a very stupid question. Are you sure that the DIAMPROD.WORLD in your TNSNAMES.ORA on your Linux box pointts to the right database on the HP box?

I've had the exact same problem myself recently on NT with Oracle 7.4. A SQL*Plus connection failed to the local database also using the correct(!) userid and password. Problem disappeared after I bounced the Oracle instance.

But this very weird once-in-a-lifetime-funny (I hope!) aside, the only cause of your problem I can think of is either an incorrect TNSNAMES or maybe a lowercase/uppercase problem due to some case sensitivy on the HP or Linux side.

>When we try to connect from the HP-UX to the linux, we could connect, and
>when we try to connect from a windows95 machine with sqlplus, we could
>connect also.

Which seems to rules out any case sensitivy on the HP side.

>Any idea?

Lots. But most of them involve the beach and blondes in skimpy bikinis... ;-)

Hope you get your problem resolved.

regards,
Billy Received on Fri Oct 16 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT