Returning TRUE and FALSE in Oracle 7.1.5.2.3

From: Mark S. Reichman <reichmanm_at_removethis.rl.af.mil.>
Date: 16 Oct 98 21:25:31 GMT

We are using the following version of Oracle and PL/SQL.. Is it me or the gods or is this version of Oracle incapable of returning anything but TRUE from a function in a package?

Connected to:
Oracle7 Server Release 7.1.5.2.3 - Production Release With the distributed and parallel query options PL/SQL Release 2.1.5.2.0 - Production

Can this version even return a boolean from a function. I tested various functions returning numbers and varchars and they worked fine. Returning Booleans however always return TRUE.

I have even done this is a function and it returned true!!

create or replace function is_office_symbol(office_symbol in varchar2) return boolean is
begin
  return FALSE
end;

These functions are being called from an Oracle 3.0 form. Maybe that has something to do with it. Does this early version of Oracle understand the PL/SQL variables TRUE and FALSE. I have written quite a few functions prior to this in Oracle version 8 using, what I thought were valid language defined variables, TRUE and FALSE and have them working flawlessly called from within Forms 4.5. I am not a newbie at this. Whats going on in this earlier version of Oracle.   Received on Fri Oct 16 1998 - 16:25:31 CDT