Re: DATE field and daylight saving time

From: Alan D. Mills <alanmNOSPAM_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:10:48 +0100

Given that you 'unique' value is proving to be less unique than you had originally hoped I suspect that you will probably have no option but to change your table design. Perhaps introduce a new primary key from a sequence or something. You can then keep your existing date field (now without the unique index on it) and still perform your queries from that. This will slow down your queries against date ranges though.

--
Alan D. Mills

j.penney_at_servicepower.com wrote in message <704gjb$b55$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>We have a table whose primary key is a DATE field. The dates we are
writing
>may potentially be in a time zone which has DST (daylight savings time).
All
>the dates *will* be in the same time zone. BUT: suppose I wrote records
every
>30 minutes and the clock went back (for example, from BST to GMT at
02:00am)
>then I'd get a sequence like this, say: 00:40 01:10 01:40 01:10 01:40 02:10
>Crunch! As far as I know (and Oracle seemed to confirm this when we asked)
as