Re: Using other charsets on creating Tables?

From: Jochen Liekens <jochen.liekens_at_vlaamsparlement.be>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 11:24:33 +0200

Matthias.nospamScheerer_at_usa.net schreef:

> Hi there,
>
> some weeks ago I posted a problem about wrong german characters
> accessing a database by ODBC. Switching the registry entries and
> setting code page translators didn't help solving the problem. Now we
> created a database using 8bit encoding and
> character set "WE8ISO8859P1"
> Now the (german) characters don't appear right even using sqlplus on
> the server. I didn't test ODBC because it doesn't work (oracle not
> available). Does it work when ODBC is ok? Should I use another
> character set? May it be that the problems with ODBC are a result of
> the switching form 7bit to 8bit encoding?
>
> Thanks alot.
> Matthias Scheerer
>
> Please remove the nospam answering me with e-mail

We had similar problems when changing from 7bit to 8bit encoding.

You could try fiddling around with the NLS_LANG parameter: - in the registry : hkey_local_machine/software/oracle

    add the key NLS_LANG "GERMAN_GERMANY.W8ISO8859P1" - in the windows dir in the file oracle.ini

     NLS_LANG=GERMAN_GERMANY.W8ISO8859P1 If your server is Windows NT, you could the registry setting should do the trick.
If it's Unix, you'll have to set the NLS_LANG in some kind of startup-script.

HTH Jochen. Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 04:24:33 CDT