PL/SQL performance tuning - web traffic analysis application

From: Paulastya Gupta <gupta_at_linkexchange.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 06:47:36 GMT

Hi all - I am using PL/SQL to perform processing on large amounts of data and its proving to be a big memory hog and very very slow. I am told converting to Pro*C would help. Can anyone advise why it should make a difference?

The application involves looping throught daily web traffic logs, storing summarized web traffic information in PL/SQL tables (holding around 1 million records), grouping into categories and then writing to an output table.

On a related note, I found this to be even slower when doing it directly in SQL using group bys. It is actually faster to open a cursor and walk throught the million or so records one by one!

Any help/insights would be appreciated.

Regards, Paul Gupta Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 01:47:36 CDT