Re: How to compare DB Tables in different Instances - MORE OPTIONS

From: Paul Chu <chupaul_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1998/10/14

Martin,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm really looking for a convenient way to compare the Schema of two DB instances to insure that we detect any DB changes between an In-house Development DB and a Client Version (deployed version) of the same DB. We would like a way to compare by connecting to both DBs.

Is there a way to compare the DB schema and list descrepancies via a SQLPLUS script ? by reading user_tab_columns in each instance ? Can a script connect to both DB's and do the compare ?

Or is there an Oracle utility which can do this ?

Alternatively, I may consider a data modeling tool such as ERWIN (synchronization feature) or POWERDESIGNER to load the Development Data Model and compare to the Client DB Instance Data Model.

Regards, Paul