Line length limitations in PL/SQL

From: Tansel Ozkan <tansel_at_openix.com>
Date: 1998/10/14

Hello,

I have to write a PL/SQL program that will output 1300 bytes per record. I have come to learn that DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE has a limitation of 255 bytes. Then I have looked into UTL_FILE.PUT_LINE and found out that it has a limitation of 1023 bytes per line.

What is the solution? Is UTL_FILE.PUTF a solution since there is no mention of a limitation for it? If that doesn't work I am planning to store the record in a database table and do a select from SQLPlus where the only limitation is the varchar2 column length, which is 2000.

Also, what is the maximum number of bytes you can output from PL/SQL? I know you can set it with eg. 'set serveroutput on size 100000' but I don't really know the maximum value for this parameter? (Oracle7.3)

Thanks..

Tansel Received on Wed Oct 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT