Re: ORACLE vs Sybase

From: R.A. Khan <khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>
Date: 1998/10/14

Scott Gray wrote:

> In comp.databases.sybase Darren Tan B K <tanboonk_at_pacific.net.sg> wrote:
> : ORACLE or Sybase?
>
> Which is better FrameMaker or Word? Well...religious wars asside,
> it depends on what you want to do with it. Modern relational (or
> object-relational, as the case may be) databases are extremely
..
..
> for DB2). You can even join between Sybase and DB2 tables.
> They have real-time data replication to and from DB2 (Replication
> Server and Replication Agent for DB2). And they sell various
> data migration and transformation tools (PowerStage).
>
> Once again...research, research, research. A mix and match
> of Sybase and Oracle products may do you...who knows?
>
> : The database will be installed into a Sun Solaris unix system.
>
> Then MS SQL Server is out :) Both Oracle and Sybase
> run on Solaris quite well.
>
> : Which has a bigger market share in the Banking Industry?
>
> Which has a bigger market share...FrameMaker or Word? Which
> is better? Depends on what you want to do. Choosing any
> product based upon market share is one of the silliest
> decisions you can make. Remember, Microsoft has market
> share in a lot of products that just don't deserve it
> (although, admittedly, some do).
>
> -scott
>
> --
> Scott C. Gray gray_at_voicenet.com "my keybard is brken"
> Sybase Professional Services scott.gray_at_sybase.com
> http://www.voicenet.com/~gray/sqsh.html

I switched one year ago from Sybase to Oracle, because Sybase was'nt able to connect "nearly anything (front-end)" with their Sybase Database Server (11). Maybee it was because of my ignorance but the main reason was the Sybase Service. The did'nt know much about their own Product's but were good in selling me several "middleware" Tools which were not working as they promised.

Now i have Oracle (7/8) and i have no Problems in Connecting either their own Front-Ends (Designer,Developer) or third Party Product's(several Case Tools like Rational Rose or even Power Tools). Not mentioned the Java Connectivity which is working very good with Oracle (as well as with Sybase).

But the best at Oracle is their *excellent* Telephone Service. I had never a Problem to solve different Questions with the Oracle DB, within minutes or hours. Maybe this is the same for Sybase, but i had different experiences here in Germany

Don't forget these are my own opionions and ezperiences

regards

--
Dipl. Ing. Ronald Ali-Khan
khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de