Re: Getting IP address of client

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:28:22 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Mike Layng" <mlayng_at_micomine.com.au> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:19:47 +0800, you wrote:

> Hello Thomas,
>
> Firstly thanks very much for your answer - I was beginning to tear my hair
> out until you and Russ gave me advice.
>
> >You see, owa_util is initialized by the webserver -- if you are
> not using the
> >webserver then owa_util has NULLS all over it...
>
> When you say using WebServer, what exactly do you mean.  I use
> WebServer to
> map virtual directories and to basically make my machine an Internet web
> server, but I do not use cartridges and such to web enable my
> forms.  I use
> what the manuals describe as the "static method of web deployment".

are you running PL/SQL from the webserver to build dynamic web pages? (eg: you have routines that have lots of calls to the package HTP in it). If so owa_util.get_cgi_env('REMOTE_ADDR') will do it.

> >If you are not using the webserver you can use the AUDIT_TRAIL
> feature to get
> >this info in 7.2 and up.  Here is a sample:
> >
> >-- IP package
>
> I tried this.  The IP address that it returned was the address of the
> machine that hosts the database and the web server.  I actually need the
> address of the client machine.  Is this an Oracle setup issue perhaps.

Based on this -- it sounds like you are using the pl/sql cartridge since the DATABASE client in this case is the webserver (and I'm assuming the webserver is OAS and you are using the pl/sql cartridge).

Would need to know more about exactly HOW you are getting to the database if you are not use OAS and pl/sql...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Wed Oct 14 1998 - 08:28:22 CDT