Problems with Access 97, ODBC 32 and Oracle 8

From: Rob Stevens <rstevens_at_netcomuk.co.uk>
Date: 1998/10/13

Hi folks,

I seem to have come across a problem when linking to a table held on Oracle 8 (Solaris) from Access 97 (SP1) running on NT (SP3).

You should be able to simply set up the ODBC data source, and go to link table, select the required one, and (subject to permissions of the Oracle account used) get access to the table.

This only works for some. :(

After much messing around making sure permissions were not a problem (I gave everything to the account without any effect) the only reason I could come up with was the schema name and the tablespace name not being the same.

For example:

User: REGISTRY
Tablespace Name: REGISTRY
Schema Name: REGISTRY

Works fine - whilst:

User: ASPL_MANAGER
Tablespace Name: ASPL
Schema Name: ASPL_MANAGER

Does not. It gets as far as actually selecting the table from the list, then says it cannot find the table, just like a permission violation would display. (error 3011)

This happens for several other similarly named users/tablespaces/schemas. But when I create:

User:TEST
Tablespace Name:TEST
Schema Name:TEST

It works perfectly

All I can think of is that either the ODBC driver needs updating (I can tell you which one it is on request), or that Access is trying to get at the tablespace using the wrong naming: i.e aspl_manager.<table> instead of aspl.<table> (Using the pervious example)

Does anyone have any ideas ?

-Rob Stevens-
 Manager
DERA Farnborough Received on Tue Oct 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT