Re: Secure storage of Web user's passwords in a database

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/10/13

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:21:16 +0300, Kudryavtsev Georgiy <georgiy_at_online.ru> wrote:

>I'm looking for method to close web user's passwords
>storing in database table.
>It's a bad idea to store open passwords
>in field of table and I suppose many people meet this problem
>and there is a way to solve it.

If you are concerned with "storage" of your users' passwords, you could simply use Database Authentication, available in Oracle Web Application Server 3.0 and OAS 4.0. This gives you the ability to authenticate users based upon their credentials already stored in the Oracle database (which is already encrypted).

>Can anyone help me?
>
>P.S. I didn't want to use OS utilites as crypt in UNIX
>because I use PL/SQL.
>

>--
>Georgiy Kudrtavtsev mailto:georgiy_at_online.ru
>SOVAM Teleport phone:+7 095 258-4170
>Moscow, Russia

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Oct 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT