How to Read LONG/VARCHAR2(2000) from VB5

From: Wayne Larimore <dwljr_at_ionet.net>
Date: 13 Oct 1998 22:27:12 GMT

I am needing to read a LONG datatype from VB5. I am using Microsoft's Oracle Driver 1.0 and do not want to get into the complexity of using ADO (because of the installation setup wizard issues) or licensing and such with Oracle Objects. I have tested a column with a VARCHAR(2000) type thinking that it may work - but didn't. The GetChunk/AppendChunk methods don't seem to work with ODBCDirect with the MSOracle driver 1.0. HAS ANYBODY ATTEMPTED THIS BEFORE and succeeded? My last resort would be to create a seperate table with a column of about 100 byte length (one-to-many relationship to the primary table). However, this would be a big hassle in conversion and coding.

Thanks in advance,
wayne.larimore_at_alltel.com Received on Tue Oct 13 1998 - 17:27:12 CDT