Re: Are stored procedures faster than straight SQL?

From: <tomscott_at_nospam.abac.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:54:52 GMT

> I am "but a newbie" to the world of Oracle and am wondering if Stored Procedures are faster than sending a straight line SQL command to query an Oracle 7.3.4 database and why?
>
>Much appreciated,
>Sean Dolan

In general, yes. A stored procedure is already compiled and parsed, whereas a dynamic query needs to go through that process. However, for a small, simple query, that might only take milliseconds. The difference really comes into play when, for example, you have to call the query over and over again from within a loop. Received on Tue Oct 13 1998 - 09:54:52 CDT