Re: Oracle 7 DBA - Becoming competent

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:00:56 GMT

There is no one essential thing to learn about Oracle. Everything about Oracle is important. As a DBA, something new pops up on a daily basis, whether it is help designing a database, meeting user's requirements, or proactive tuning. As a consultant, most of my projects have been Database Layout (on a server) and installation, Database Tuning, proposing various types of Back-up strategies, and offerring advice about numerous subjects.

I initially learned Oracle by attending Oracle Eduaction's DBA Masters program. But the majority of my learning has been "jumping in the deep in" as a DBA.

No comment on the book, never hear of it.

good luck,
Satar

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin