Re: PLSQL question

From: Christopher Beck <clbeck_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:50:42 GMT

On 11 Oct 1998 20:20:26 GMT, hooperce_at_aol.com (Hooperce) wrote:

>From within a stored procedure, I want to fire off a few other stored
>procedures, one after the other, WITHOUT having to wait for each to finish
>before the next takes off. Each is now waiting for the prior one to fiinish
>before starting - how can I get around this??? Thanks, in advance, to
>all....

If the parent procedure does not require any return codes from its children, submit the children as database jobs.

eg.

procedure parent is
  jobNo nuber;
begin

  dbms_job.submit( jobNo, 'begin child1; end;' );   dbms_job.submit( jobNo, 'begin child2; end;' );   ...

end parent;

If you do this, make sure that these params are set in the init.ora

job_queue_interval=         60
job_queue_processes=        1
job_queue_keep_connections= FALSE

This says that the database will check every 60 secs to see if there are jobs to run and will have one process run them. Adjust accordingly.

hope this helps.

chris.