Oracle 7.3.4 for SCO on Linux

From: Devin Redlich <devin_at_pctc.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 19:34:38 GMT

I've heard in passing that some people have been able to make Oracle 7.3.4 for SCO run under Linux using the iBCS kernel module. If you people are out there, I'd like to hear how you did it!

Now, I know I can download Oracle 8 for Linux (in fact, I'm doing it right now, all 145MB of it), but I believe I need Oracle 7 in order to make replication play nicely with our other Oracle 7 boxes (if this is false, please let me know).

As you may have gathered, I know *zero* about Oracle. That being said, I'm trying to install 7.3.4 on a fresh RedHat 5.1 install by following the instructions in the Oracle for SCO manual. I got as far as orainst /c, but that was the end of the line. It told me it could not open a resource file. Oddly, strace didn't actaully show an attempt to open any system files, so I don't know what it's bitching about. I do know that it got as far as running orainst.cm, though.

I can only assume that the lack of native SCO shared libraries on my Linux box is the problem. Unfortunately, I don't know which libraries are needed. As I mentioned, strace didn't report that orainst.cm was actaully trying to open a file when it died. If anyone can throw some clue my way, it would be appreciated. Thx.

__
Devin Redlich
devin_at_pctc.com Received on Fri Oct 09 1998 - 14:34:38 CDT