pl/sql question

From: V. Hawkins <vcamille_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 17:32:08 -0700

Hi. Why might the second DMBS_OUTPUT statement below cause a PLS-00306 (wrong number or types of arguments in call to 'to_char') error? The first DBMS statement is the only one I've gotten to work so far, but it turns the variable dbase into a string, as it should, and prints 'dbase'. I even tried DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('The answer is'|| dbase); types of statements, but it fails with the same error (wrong number or types of arguments in call to '||'). What's wrong with my syntax?

          FOR dbase IN databases_cursor(ctg_row.assignment_id) LOOP
              EXIT WHEN databases_cursor%NOTFOUND;
              -- works DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE ('dbase');
              DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE (TO_CHAR(dbase));
          END LOOP;

Thanks
Victoria Hawkins Received on Thu Oct 08 1998 - 19:32:08 CDT