Hang by simple select from VB (over ODBC) to Oracle

From: Thomas Neuhofer <Thomas.Neuhofer_at_kt-net.at>
Date: 1998/10/06

I wrote a VB project that accesses an Oracle database using ODBC (Oracle driver 2.x).
On my computer the program worked. Then I installed the program (using Application Setup Wizard)
on another computer.
Suddenly it hanged at a simple select (select * from t2 order by xxx) -> OpenRecordset method of database object. After Testing I saw, that the db-connect was ok and one select on a table before the 'fatal' select was
executed, also with success. (Also I tested upper select string in a sql-editor -> it was processed).

Here a short extract:

    DBEngine.DefaultType = dbUseODBC
    Set mWks = Workspaces(0)
    mWks.DefaultCursorDriver = dbUseServerCursor

    Set mdB = mWks.OpenDatabase(m_szDSN, dbDriverCompleteRequired, False, m_szConnect)

    Set rs1 = mdB.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM t1 ORDER BY x", dbOpenSnapshot)

    rs1.Close
    Set rs2 = mdB.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM t2 ORDER BY y", dbOpenSnapshot) ' At this statement the program hangs

    rs2.Close
    Set rs3 = mdB.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM t3 ORDER BY z", dbOpenSnapshot)

    rs3.Close

Did you ever have a problem like this? Have you exerience with VB-projects using Oracle ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated...

greetings

Thomas Neuhofer Received on Tue Oct 06 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT