Re: Large Directory Problem

From: Tim Hill/MVP <timhill_at_pacbell.net>
Date: 1998/10/06

I emailed this over to you -- if you didn't get it, here's the email again....

However, from your explanation of file naming conventions you are using, I think I can shed some more light on what is going on. NTFS uses a B-tree to index filenames. B-trees generally work well, but can have trouble if lots of very similar file names are present, particularly if the first few letters are always the same. You might want to look into restructuring your name convention so that the FIRST letters/numbers of the name vary the most, while invariant items come later in the file name.

To disable 8.3 names, change this registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8d ot3NameCreation

Change the value to "1" (DWORD) to disable 8.3 names.

However, in your case I don't think this is going to help, as I don't think this is the source of the problem.

P.S. Your email is broken -- everything gets bounced after 30 hops. You need to contact your ISP.

--
Tim Hill -- Windows NT MVP