Re: Redo log files

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:54:57 GMT

Since Archived Redo Log Files are used to restore a database to a point in time...What I did, was the following: 1st backup day: Take a full online backup of database and save archived redo log files since last full online backup. 2nd backup day: Take full online backup of database and save archived redo log files since last full online backup. 3rd backup day: Take full online backup of database and save archived redo log files since last full online backup. Now I can remove (or rewrite over tape)the archived redo logs of the first saved archived redo logs (along with the backed up datafiles, ect). You cannot restore from a media disaster using archived log files alone, you will need to restore from your last full online backup and then apply any archived redo log files since the backup. I personally keep 3 backups worth of archived redo logs.

Good Luck,
Satar

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin