Re: need to delete a datafile

From: TANASESCU, IOSIF <iosif.tanasescu_at_bellsygma.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 10:45:03 -0500

Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:

> I have a datafile that I created a while ago so that I could create a
> rollback segment in that tablespace large enough for what I was doing.
> Now I deleted that rollback segment but I am still left with the
> additional datafile. My other datafile for that tablespace is adequate
> for what I am doing, so how do I get rid of this other datafile safely??
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Be sure that you no longer have any segments allocated on this file (check dba_segments for that file).
A simplier method is to try to resize the datafile to the minimum possible (depending on you operating system and instance). After that, you could recreate the controlfiles, in the usala way (get a description of your database with backup controlfile to trace) and modify the script, to not contain the file you want to drop. At the creation time, you will see that you'l have an error message, but if you continue, at the end, when you will reopen the databse, ofr the file you erased, will see status 'MISSING', in the status column.

This is not an elegant way, but it not force you to recreate the tablespace (if this contain a large amount of data, or logical links with other tablespaces - read tabless - will be more difficult : disable foreign keys, create copies of objects, drop tablespace, recreate tablespace, recreate objects, reenable foreign keys)

Bye
--
Iosif Tanasescu
Consultant