Re: Large Directory Problem

From: Michael D. Long <lead_dog_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 1998/10/04

Perhaps you should perform a cost benefit analysis of storing the BLOB data on RAID or DASD vs. some type of optical storage. The cost of primary storage is prohibitive when the database grows above 100Gb.

Also, the additional complexity of managing the DBMS should be factored into the equation. Currently, many of the commercial DBMS' have problems supporting a database above a couple of hundred Gigabytes; performance degradation is another factor, as the data is fragmented and must be spread across multiple drive arrays.

If you are playing with tinker toy databases that will never grow above a few Gigabytes, then storage of BLOBs might be a suitable alternative. However, to state that this technique has nothing to do with scalability demonstrates a lack of understanding the associated problems. The term neophyte does not imply a lack of intelligence; it simply means beginner, or novice.

Michael D. Long
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/heights/9478/

Scott L. Holmes <slholmes_at_nhdg.com> wrote in article <OhOZMf579GA.217_at_uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>...