Re: Large Directory Problem

From: Scott L. Holmes <slholmes_at_nhdg.com>
Date: 1998/10/03

Randall wrote in message <36150F83.F7088A06_at_pcmagic.net>...
>help/hurt performance in retrieving these images. Some people in my
>organization feel that saving the images in Oracle BLOBs (Binary Long
>OBjects) will server us better. Is that true?

I can't speak for Oracle BLOB's but I can speak for SQL Server BLOBs. I have enourmous sucess using blobs to store all not numerical and textual data types. JPG can't possibly be any better. You simply define a good key like a identity or some other trigger mechanism and you can get to any number of BLOB's instantly.

I'd be very suprised if you didn't have excellent results with Oracle too. I'm guessing that biggest roadblock would be how to deal with the images. In my case I'm using Microsoft Access and Visual Basic OLE Container control to maintain the BLOBs. Access I use to do one shot maintenance chores and VB I use to provide some interactive maintenance features for my users.

--
Scott L. Holmes

Neutrino Mass, it's what keeps me from becoming completely unstable