Can someone explain user-defined exceptions??

From: <singeri_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 1998 19:32:09 GMT

Hi all,

I am very confused over USER-DEFINED exceptions in PL/SQL where you define an exception that is a NON-ORACLE error, and associate it with a number that is in the range that oracle says is user-definable. My question is what is the purpose of the user-defined number that is a associated with the user-defined exception after they are tied together via a PRAGMA EXCEPTION_INIT statement???

I cannot see the value of using the number since you raise and handle the exception via the exception name??

Any insight will be VERY useful.
TIA, Irv