can a trigger be disabled for a given session?

From: NNOOR <Nnoor_at_cris.com>
Date: 02 Oct 1998 11:55:35 PDT

A trigger exists on a table which records the user_id and time_stamp when ever any change is made to the data (insert, update, etc) for each row. Sometimes, a user can copy a whole bunch of data from one day to the next (e.g. copy of a schedule or time sheets, etc) and then a lot of processing is done to get the data ready for the next day. Problem is that all these operations cause the trigger to fire like mad which slows the whole process by a great deal. We can't just issue the ALTER TRIGGER DISABLE command because other users are using the system (and accessing the data in the same table---not the same data!) and we want to record who made changes to a given record and when. Is there any way to disable the trigger for a given session? What is the solution to such a problem if it can't be.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Nasir. Received on Fri Oct 02 1998 - 13:55:35 CDT