Tool for maintaining versions of Oracle Tables

From: Rich W. <rwerning_at_execpc.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 08:47:34 -0500

I'm looking for a tool to use with our application software. We have multiple versions of our product at various customer sites, each version has multiple patch levels to it.

What we need is a tool that can store a snapshot of the database for each release, so that as customers migrate through the different versions, it will ensure that their database's are in sync.

We currently do this through SQL scripts, but as you can imagine it ca be a nightmare to manage at times. Is anyone aware of a tool that will do this? I've looked at Toad, but it doesn't seem to be able to do this. Maybe I'm missing something.

Alternatively, I've considered writing this myself but we make our money selling our software package - not in selling Oracle Tools.

One other potentially big problem with the requirement for a tool, while we only support Oracle 7.3 at this time, our application was designed & coded from day 1 with database independance in mind. For us, it's a snap to switch between Oracle 7.3, Informix, MS Sql, and MS Access (Yes, it does work. Yes, I have tested it regulary). We just don't have any customers that are using any other database at this time. But that may change in the near future, so a tool that also supports multiple platforms is a HUGH plus.

Thanks for the help

Rich Werning                      | Phone: +1.414.781.1133 x103
TIP Technologies, Inc.        | Fax: +1.414.781.1240
12640 West Burleigh Rd   | Email: rjw_at_tiptech.com
Brookfield, WI 53005         | Http: www.tiptech.com