Re: Oracle Slower than Access?

From: Bjorn Borud <borud_at_lucifer.guardian.no>
Date: 1998/10/01

[joebrownNO_SPAM_me_very_MUCH_at_leading.net (Joe Brown)]

| 1. Oracle consumes a lot of RAM. If the Oracle database is running on
| the same machine, this could cause a lot of swapping and disk
| thrashing. (Doesn't sount like the case, or you would probably see
| even worse performance).

the numbers presented suggest, at least to me, that this is not the case. the numbers for Oracle would be much worse than just 20% down if this was the case.

it is probably the multiple layers that do it along with some effects introduced by having to copy data around in memory several times and the fact that different buffer sizes/strategies at various stages may be causing suboptimal access patterns.

-Bjørn Received on Thu Oct 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT