Re: Hardware recommendation???

From: MotoX <rat_at_tat.a-tat.com>
Date: 1998/10/01

I think as one of the other replies you got stated, $10K is a tight budget. Sure, you may be able to get the basic processor for that, but depending on the size of your system and the performance requirements that may not be enough. Start adding extra ram, faster CPU and additional disk drives and controllers, and the cost of 'entry level' servers can easily double (or worse, much worse). And that hasn't even included budget for Oracle, decent backup software, networking components, etc. (which you may have a separate budget for?)

You also want to think about backup/recovery, and splash out on a few drives (or maybe) RAID to make your system more immune from disk failure.

My advice would be to think long and hard about exactly *what* you want out of this system in terms of performance, scalability and fault-tolerance before you start locking yourself into a budget which just may not be enough.

At the cheap(er) end of the market are NT systems. We run a few smallish Oracle db's on NT 4.0 server, and it's been OK. Sure, it's nowhere near as nice as our large UNIX servers, but they cost hundreds of times the price.

If you really want to stick with UNIX, maybe look at PC hardware with an Intel install: Linux, SCO and Solaris can all be bought in Intel form, and Oracle supports them in one form or another. Check with Oracle for details. Dell and Compaq also seem to be offering some pretty cheap servers these days, too. Maybe worth a look.

MotoX.