Re: delete a datafile safely

From: TurkBear <johng_at_nospam.mm.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 19:43:47 GMT

Kevin Kirkpatrick <kjk_at_hrb.com> wrote:

>I am almost convinced that there is a safe way to delete out a datafile
>that I created for a large rollback segment. I made this datafile part
>of the same tablespace that I primarly use. When I deleted the rollback
>segment I regained almost all of the space back in the datafile. If I
>take that datafile and remove it, will my tablespace become currupted?
>I still haven't used up all of my original datafile, I am just wondering
>if data migrated to the other datafile somehow. Has anyone worked with
>datafiles that much?
>
>Kevin

If the data file is part of an active tablespace, dropping the file will almost certainly result in the loss of data and possibly an unusable tablespace -

Oracle distributes data to all of the datafiles in a tablespace and there is no practical way to determine which data file holds which part of the data...

If you want to conserve space, then determine all the objects stored in that tablespace, export them, drop and re-create the tablespace ( with the data files you want to use ) and import the objects....

To reply please remove the 'nospam' part of the address Received on Thu Oct 01 1998 - 14:43:47 CDT