help!! Problem with TCP/IP listener for Personal Oracle8

From: <cyberworm_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:30:03 GMT

Hi,

I'm a newbie so I hope I don't sound too stupid. I have just installed personal oracle8 over developer2000 on my stand-alone PC.

I intend to connect developer2000 to my local database and have configured both SQL*Net Easy (from developer2000) and Oracle Net8 Easy (from personal oracle8) to connect to my local database using the TCP/IP protocol with host-name 127.0.0.1. This was because SQL*Net Easy only supported TCP/IP. I used scott/tiger and the same database alias for both configurations.

When I tried connecting to the database from f45desm using scott/tiger and my database alias, I received the error message "ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination".

I gathered that my TCP/IP had not started so I ran LSNRCTL80 from DOS and tried to start the default TCP/IP listener. However, this produced an illegal operation message from windows. My listener.ora file goes like this: LISTENER = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP) (Host = 127.0.0.1) (Port = 1521) ) ) STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0 CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10 TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = ADMIN SID_LIST_LISTENER = (SID_LIST = (SID_DESC = (SID_NAME = ORCL) ) ) Is the problem to do my TCP/IP stack or is there something really wrong with my configuration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

-Chris