Skippping Sequence Numbers

From: Stephen Clarke <stephen.ctr.clarke_at_faa.dot.gov>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:50:36 -0400

Hi!

I have a sequence with a cache of 20. I am finding that the sequence is skipping values by amounts - 20, 18,19,20,40 - seeming to indicate the cache is being lost. I haven't had any instance terminations or had to shut the DB down, but I do run an export daily as my backup procedure. I am using Oracle Server for Netware, v. 7.3.

Can anyone explain - I don't believe any sequence transactions occur when I'm actually doing the export.

Also, is there any reason not to alter the sequence and set the cache to zero (or one) to eliminate (reduce?) the problem? Maybe I can do without caching since I only select values about 10 times an hour?

TIA, Stephen Clarke Received on Wed Sep 30 1998 - 15:50:36 CDT