Re: Newbie Question on SQL*Net

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 18:28:51 GMT

I don't know of any FAQ's, you might want to post specific questions/problems you have. Here is some info to help you out. On the Solaris Box (server): make sure your listener is turned on. As the UNIX Oracle User (usually Oracle), type: lsnrctl start at the Unix Prompt.

On the client side (Win 95): run SQL*NET easy configuration (click on start, program files, Oracle for win95). Add a database alias (mine is y2k). Choose TCP/IP. Instance name is the name of your Oracle Database Instance. Host name is our Solaris Box host name or IP address (use IP Address). Now when you want to use Enterprise manager, for example Security Manager. You type Username (this is the Oracle User name, like sys or system), password, service (which is your database alias, y2k in my case), connect as [normal, sysop, sysdba];Normal is default, if you want to use sysdba, you must run the orapwd command on the unix prompt and set a parameter up in your init<sid>.ora file.

Hopefully this general info helps you out, if you have specific questions, e- mail me and I'll help you out.

Good Luck,
Satar Naghshineh

--
Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin