Oracle/SQL LONG field limited to 2048 chars????

From: Martijn Spronk <spronk_at_columbus-group.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 09:16:13 -0700

I ran into a probem using the LONG datatype in Oracle. I occurs with a table in Oracle 7.3.2 for Solaris that looks like this:

report_id NUMBER(9) PRIMARY KEY,
report_type NUMBER(3) NOT NULL,
survey_type NUMBER(3) NOT NULL,

team_id VARCHAR2(30),
report_date DATE,
business_unit VARCHAR2(30),
prime_centre VARCHAR2(30),
report_text LONG

Whenever I try to INSERT something in this table with a report_text field being bigger than 2048 characters, it gives me the error message:

Error from Server: ORA-01704: string literal too long

Now am I crazy or shouldn't I be able to enter field sizes up to 2Gb in that field actually??? I ran into the problem using LiveWire (Netscape Server), but the same problem occurs trying it with SQL*PLUS.

Regards, Martijn.