Re: What is better: Indices in same TS or different?

From: <CG_at_His.PC>
Date: 1998/09/29

On 28 Sep 1998 18:12:11 PDT, Nnoor_at_cris.com (NNOOR) wrote:

>Does is improve performance by having the indices in a
>table other than the one holding the table data? What
>are the recommended practices when following this route?
>Is it worth the hassle?
>
>Thanks and Regards,
>Nasir (nnoor_at_cris.com)

The majority of tuning / performance docs I have seen always recommend keeping indexes and data separate, on separate disk spindles. Oracle will write to the data and index simultaneously, so by separating them, you gain performance from simultaneous writes to separate disks as opposed to sequential writes to a single disk.

Hope this helps you.

mp3 files posted for evaluation purposes only. If you like it, support the artist and buy it! Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT