Re: Installing ODBC on Windows 95

From: Kevin Kirkpatrick <kjk_at_hrb.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:16:10 -0400

Hey!

Yes, you are correct. You will need SQL*NET to connect with a unix oracle server. I did the same thing on a windows NT machine not to long ago. I used Oracle Client and it did everything for me. It will install in a directory called ORANT. One thing that you will need to know is the SID for the database that you are connecting to. This is done thru the Add Database Alias option that will appear during installation.. To someone who is somewhat familiar with Oracle it should be no problem getting it up and running. Yes, it does provide the ability to use Access with oracle. I do this on a daily basis and it works fairly well. The database I just designed had over half a million rows of data. ODBC seems to crash on data transfers of about 100,000 rows of data or more for some reason. Anything under that seems to work fine. By linking tables you have the ability to modify data residing on Oracle thru Access in realtime. This of course requires you to specify a key field when creating the link. Then of course you could import and export tables back and forth. I have also taken Excel spreadsheets into Access and then onto Oracle. Works great there also...

Good luck
Kevin