Re: Importing external data into tables....??

From: Dan Hopkins <dan_at_ukonline.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:58:53 +0100

Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote in message <360F7A59.318DF7EE_at_hrb.com>...
>This can be done very easily. This is how I did it. Do you have Access
>also? If so, you can take the spreadsheet into access and then use ODBC
>to get it into Oracle. But to do this you will have to have the ODBC
>drivers installed and SQL*NET. I was working on an NT machine getting
>data onto an Oracle database on UNIX. It worked great and very fast.
>We explored other options such as using Visual Basic to do the ODBC call
>and it was slow. MS-Access worked fine though.
>
>Good luck
>kevin

We do the same. But beware, I accidentally created a new Oracle table via MS Access over ODBC, unfortunately giving it a mixed case table name (e.g. Some_Table). Our version of Oracle doesn't like lower case table names, and now I can't drop or alter the table.

Just thought I'd share my mistake with you, seeing as _everyone_ else here seems to know about it ;-)

Dan. Received on Tue Sep 29 1998 - 07:58:53 CDT