Re: Package for manipulating LONG fields

From: Flemming Jans <fj_at_belle.dk>
Date: 1998/09/28

> >>But maybe there is another solution to my problem:
> >>I have to context search in long fields from about 50 different tables. Using a
> >>trigger I would copy all changes on the long fields to a single table that I could
> >>search in.
> >>
> >>Could this be done simply by creating a view over the 50 tables and creating the
> >>context index on that view ???
> >>

> I think this would become the definiton of "DBA Nightmare" very
> quickly. :)
>
> Even without ConText involved, if you created a VIEW which was
> actually based on a query against 50 (!) different tables, this would
> tend to be not efficient to say the least.
>
> Secondly, with ConText, you can specify only one policy per
> column...you couldn't say "this ConText policy applies to column1,
> column2,..., and column50. So...unless you concatenate the columns,
> you are going to end up with 50 different ConText policies and
> potentially 50 different ConText queries executing concurrently.

I would create the view as a union over the tables like:

select text from table1
union
select text from table2
union
select text from table3

Can the context server handle that or will it perform like s**t ???

> Your best way to do this is as you suggest (and is what I've done
> before). It takes up more space, but it is very easy to set via an
> INSERT or UPDATE trigger to copy the data to a common table. That
> way, you have all 50 tables feeding one common table, and it is this
> table that you create your ConText policy and index on.

Yes, but how can I copy the LONG fields (> 32k) from within PL/SQL ???

Regards,

Flemming (fj_at_belle.dk) Received on Mon Sep 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT