Re: ORACLE vs Sybase

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: 1998/09/28

Hi Darren,

    Since I just installed Oracle 8.0.4 last week and applied two sets of patches to bring it up to 8.0.4.2 let me have a shot at your question.

    First, I have no idea how simple or complex Sybase patches are to apply so I don't have a good standard of comparison.

    The instructions for applying a patch are about two paragraphs long and go something like:

    Copy patch files from CD-ROM to a directory on your system.

    Do a tar -xvf <file_name>

    Fire up the Oracle installer

    Tab and arrow down to the appropriate directory and press the space bar

    Tab over to the install button and press return

It really is that simple and it took less than 15 minutes to apply both sets of patches.

regards

Jerry