SQL Restrictions?

From: Nick Lehane <LehaneN_at_logica.com>
Date: 28 Sep 1998 14:07:52 GMT

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding possible limitations of PL/SQL.

I am trying to execute the following statement:

INSERT INTO Temp_Replies

    SELECT i.formats, f.decode, 'D'
    FROM inc_mrc_rep_format i, format_decode f     WHERE i.inc = :Global.INC

    AND i.mrc = :Global.MRC
    AND i.criticality = :Global.Criticality
    AND i.mode_code = :Global.Mode_code
    AND f.formats (+) = i.formats;

COMMIT; Basically this looks up a format value in one table and uses it to obtain a decode value from the format_decode table.

The format of the format (!) a character string enclosed in brackets.

When I pass a specific value to the formats line eg AND f.formats = '(XA)' then I get a decode value.

Could it be that the parentheses are affecting the comparison? And if so could anybody suggest a way of bypassing this?

Many thanks,

Nick Lehane Received on Mon Sep 28 1998 - 09:07:52 CDT