Re: [?] Side by Side comparison of Informix & Oracle

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 09:20:24 -0400

Hi Max,

Side-by-side comparisons of RDBMS are not very meaningful. The problem is that they all have substantially the same functionality, but differ in ways beyond the comprehension of all but those whose career is developing and improving RDBMS. There is also the problem that there aren't clear-cut and accepted measures of "goodness" as there are in the operating system world.

The closest thing to a side-by-side number that has any validity at all (and this is questionable) is the TCP benchmarks. Using those Oracle is four times as fast as Informix, twice as fast as Sybase, four times as fast as DB2, and six times as fast as SQL Server. I think that all this proves is that Oracle is better at tuning and running benchmarks and advertising the results than their competition.

regards

Jerry