Re: Oracle NT vs Oracle UNIX - my 2 cents

From: database_admin <dataworks_at_zebra.net>
Date: 1998/09/27

jan wrote:

> In fact, most UNIX programs are about as simple as the corresponding
> DOS version of the same would be.
>
> /jan

Well Said.
 I have been fortunate (?) enough to have set up 3 systems from scratch - operating system, executables and dbs on HP-UX and Solaris in the last 18 months, and have found it far easier to automate tasks using UNIX shell scripts and Perl Scripts along with the oracle utilities.

As someone who turned his back on Windoze years ago, I cannot offer a fair perspective on NT vs UNIX. Surely NT has a batch language equivalent of what one used to use with DOS, but I haven't needed it. All of my dbs save one are on HP-UX & Solaris. Our newest db is on NT, so for now I manage it through the graphical onlines & sql scripts.

Example - I can think of 3 different ways to create compressed exports using named pipes to tape or to another machine on my netwrk with simple \(less than 10 lines) shell scripts. Well documented on the 'net as well.
for example: (credit goes to Balaji Bollu for this)

mknod exp_pipe.dmp p
chmod +rw exp_pipe.dmp
cat exp_pipe.dmp | compress > my_export_file.dmp.Z & exp system/password file=exp_pipe.dmp log=my_exp.log

I am biased towards HP UX because I have used it for years, and have been backup UNIX system adminitrator as well as a DBA.

We have Win NT here as well, but I can't "get down to the Iron" so to speak without a lot of programming. I had the Windows 95 SDK when it was in beta, and the size of the documentation was beyond my patience to deal with. So I turned away from the Dark Side, and became a DBA instead of a Windows programmer. :=)

Of course, I can't wait to see LINUX & Oracle 8 in action.!!! Received on Sun Sep 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT