Re: Oracle JDBC Thin Applet + MS IE: SecurityException accessing jdbc.drivers system property

From: Juhani Jaakola <Juhani.Jaakola_at_Hansel.FI>
Date: 1998/09/27

I finally found a working work-around to this problem!

The problem was that Oracle's JDBC sample program would run on Netscape 3 but not on MS IE 3. With MS IE the applet crashes when it tries to acceess system property jdbc.drivers. Apparently MS IE generates an incorrect exception which is not caught by the JDBC DriverManager.

I found info about this in a FAQ on http://www.connectsw.com/ Basically you have to instantiate the driver twice. The first time dies, but it somehow succeeds on the second time. Don't ask me why this works!

Below is a diff of my changes to the JDBC 7.3.4 JdbcApplet.java (the thin-1.0.2 version):

hanselr:root >diff JdbcApplet.java.org JdbcApplet.java 10a11
> import oracle.jdbc.dnlddriver.*; // is this really needed?
67c69,71
< Class.forName (driver_class);

---