Re: Package for manipulating LONG fields

From: Flemming Jans <fj_at_belle.dk>
Date: 1998/09/25

> >In Oracle8 there is a package dbms_lob for manipulating lobs,
> >reading/writing piecewise etc.
> >
> >Is there such a package for ordinary LONG fields also, or do I have to
> >use OCI ????
>
> In v7.3 and up dbms_sql will let you piecewise READ a long in pl/sql (but not
> insert/update). The following is an example of how to do this. Other then
> that, yes -- you will have to use OCI or PRO*C or some other 3gl like language
> to manipulate longs.

Unfortunataly I also have to write the fields back into another table.

But maybe there is another solution to my problem: I have to context search in long fields from about 50 different tables. Using a trigger I would copy all changes on the long fields to a single table that I could search in.

Could this be done simply by creating a view over the 50 tables and creating the context index on that view ???

Regards,

Flemming Received on Fri Sep 25 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT