SqlNet is killing my box!

From: Sean Fernandes <sean_at_red.seas.upenn.edu>
Date: 26 Sep 1998 03:22:47 GMT

We are having a strange problem with sql*net. It seems to be consuming most of the CPU time. We are seeing upto 97% of CPU usage by user processes and top hundred of them are SQL*NET processes.

Here is sample line from ps, what I am calling as SQL*NET processes: oracle 28812 28197 6 Aug 30 ? 4044:41 oracle<SID> (DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq))

Description of our set up is:
We have about 100 copies of middleware(running on the same server as Oracle) each having its own Oracle session. CGI scripts use socket connections to connect to random middleware server and request data. Middleware performs the SQL and returns data to CGI script back. Since the middle ware server runs perpetually and there might be instances where there is no activity between a middleware server and database, the session time out on the SQL*NET side is set to a huge number.

Question:
Any suggestion as to where to start trouble shooting.

Would really appreciate the help :)

Send mail to sfern_at_sapient.com

Thanks a bunch Received on Fri Sep 25 1998 - 22:22:47 CDT