Re: Number field as '0003' not '3'

From: James Lorenzen <lorenzen_at_tiny.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:25:43 -0500

Lots of questions.
1. Why?
2. Is this for output from the database? If so then use the to_char(xxx,'0999') to format the number. 3. Is this number used in calculations? If not define it as a CHAR (or VARCHAR2) length of 4 and validate the number as 4 long on input.

With out knowing the needs and purpose of your application, it is difficult to answer the question.

HTH
   James

In article <dolans.906656570_at_stripe.Colorado.EDU>, dolans_at_stripe.Colorado.EDU (Sean Dolan) wrote:

> I found out as I was going through my data in my dbase that all my
number fields that did not start with a solid number (1 thru 9), came out "short". If I want a number field to be 4 digits long, how do I get that regardless of whether the user puts in "3" ( I would like "0003")

--

lorenzen_at_tiny.net             | Life is complex; it has