Problems with JDBC thin driver

From: Peter Friend <octavian_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 23 Sep 1998 20:32:51 GMT

I am using JDK 1.1.6 and Oracle7 Server Release 7.3.2.3.0. The thin driver works well, but only if I regularly make calls to the database. I have found that if I don't make any database calls for 10 minutes or more, SQLExceptions start getting thrown.

The first error shows up when the app has been idle for 10 minutes or more. The database connection is still open, and everything looks fine, but createStatement() throws SQLException with an error of "No more data to read from socket.". Here is the trace:

java.sql.SQLException: No more data to read from socket

        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at java.sql.SQLException.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(Compiled Code)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTCInBuffer.getByte(Compiled Code)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTIMsg.unmarshalSB1(Compiled Code)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.Oopen.receive(Compiled Code)
        at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.open(Compiled Code)
        at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.<init>(Compiled Code)
        at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.createStatement(Compiled Code)
        at Network_Panel.find_record(Compiled Code)
        at mainwin.actionPerformed(Compiled Code)

This happens in the exact same way on Solaris 2.5.1 and Windows 95.

Peter Friend

--

ATS Manager/Programmer
EarthLink Network Received on Wed Sep 23 1998 - 15:32:51 CDT