Null dates in a union query question

From: PMG <pete_g_at_2xtreme.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 22:29:34 -0700

Can somebody tell me how to get around this problem:

create or replace view x as

   select 'pete'     NAME,
              null      ADATE

   from dual
union all
   select null       NAME,
   sysdate         ADATE

 from dual

I get ORA-01790: expression must have same datatype as corresponding expression in line 3 of the SQL.

In other words, how do I insert a NULL into a column which will be a date field.

TIA Pete Received on Wed Sep 23 1998 - 00:29:34 CDT