Re: mounting shared file system for Oracle and multiple machines

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: 1998/09/22

NFS is totally outside SQL*Net.

SQL*Net only handles traffic between clients and the database server.

NFS is a shared disk scheme. One of your servers would have the actual disk drives. It would mount filesystems on those drives. It 'exports' the filesystems via its NFS server software. The other servers 'import' the filesystems via their NFS client software.

The NFS client server software makes the shared disk seem local to each machine. The NFS client server software also maintains inter-node security.

Depending on your network, NFS filesystems could look like 'slow' disk.

So, you would eliminate the ftp step. The file would automatically be sent over the network, synchronously (meaning: your database job might take longer, but still shorter than the database time + the ftp time). It also means that your database job fails if the network fails. With the two step job, the database step can complete and then you can run the ftp whenever the network comes up.