Re: Silly error message

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:17:47 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Burkhard Schultheis <bschultheis_at_tde.ra.eunet.de> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 15:08:45 +0200, you wrote:

>Environment: DEC-UNIX, Pro*C/C++ Release 2.2.2.0.0, Oracle 7
>
>Try the following:
>Type in the source test.pc
>void main (void)
>{
> EXEC SQL CLOSE count;
>}
>
>Compile it with
>proc iname=test.pc
>You will get the error message
>(1) PCC-F-02301, cannot reopen input file for reading
>
>This error message is generated because in at least one pass the
>precompiler expects a file "TEST.PC", not "test.pc". If you create a
>symbolic link, you can compile this source.
>OK, you must not use a reserved word, count, for a cursor. But it
>happened to me when I ported an application from DB2 to Oracle!

I opened bug 734236 for this today -- it reproduces with later versions of the precompiler as well.

Actually, using COUNT as the cursor name works just fine, for whatever reason, it will UPPERCASE test.pc to TEST.PC when you use a key word as a cursor name and then generate the file TEST.c -- not test.c. thats all in the bug report.

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Tue Sep 22 1998 - 10:17:47 CDT